I make clothes because I love to sew, because I want to use the skills my mum taught me, because I fell out of love with the high street when I realised how makers lived and worked (thank you, Fashion Revolution), and because I love stories. Every piece of clothing has a story: we might remember where we bought it, or who we were with, or where the money came from to buy it. But for me, the narrative has to begin at the beginning – with the fabric, on to the maker, then to the seller and finally to the wearer(s). So that’s why I only use organic fabric from Lebenskleidung and why my brand is called With Narrative.
Each piece is designed and made with love and to last from my sewing room near Milton Keynes, and comes with a copy of one of my short stories (that MA in Creative Writing was worth every penny)!
– I use Royal Mail for all deliveries because it is an existing delivery network. I’d rather not use a duplicating delivery system, so that I can keep my carbon footprint smaller. None of us need to be in that much of a hurry for fashion!
– I reuse packaging – so your parcel might be a bit on the ugly side.
– I get my organic fabric from Lebenskleidung in Germany. All of their textiles are certified according to the guidelines of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
– I get my organic cotton thread from Organic Textile Co.
– I get my labels from Woven Labels UK.
– My business cards and short stories are printed by Moo. The cards are printed on Cotton Paper, made from 100% recycled T-shirt offcuts, the stories are printed on 100% recycled paper and postcards on ‘sustainably sourced’ card.
– I design and make all the clothing and the stories.